1 demise, COVID-19 hospitalizations proceed downward development in London, Ont., on Wednesday – CBC.ca

0
131

The first COVID-19-related death of March was reported by the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) on Wednesday.

The health unit says a man in his 80s who was vaccinated with at least two doses has died with the virus.

There have now been 91 COVID-19-related deaths so far this year and 350 since the pandemic began.

The MLHU posted 79 additional high-risk cases on Wednesday. The seven-day rolling average for high-risk cases is up slightly to 64.

The health unit says 5,042 more doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered in Middlesex-London last week. Over 87 per cent of the population five years of age and older are fully vaccinated, with nearly 50 per cent boosted.

“We are seeing boosters continue to be delivered across our jurisdiction, but the rate has slowed,” said Dr. Alex Summers, the acting medical officer of health for the MLHU.

“Twelve to 17 year olds are now eligible to receive a booster dose and can receive one at any of our mass vaccination clinic sites, as well as at participating pharmacies and any of the community hub clinics that Middlesex-London Health Unit is operating across our region.”

COVID-19 hospitalizations decline in region

The London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) reported 42 inpatients with COVID-19 on Monday, unchanged from Friday. The number of patients in ICU beds now five or fewer.

Of the total, the hospital network said:

  • 14 patients are being treated directly for COVID-19.
  • 28 patients tested positive upon being admitted for other treatments.

The number of staff who have tested positive for the virus was not available on Wednesday. The previous count was 232 members infected as of Tuesday, who are isolating.

There are three ongoing outbreaks at University Hospital. For details on the units that are impacted, visit the LHSC’s outbreak reporting page.

COVID-19 across the province

Ontario reported 847 people with COVID-19 in the province’s hospitals on Wednesday, down from 1,106 the previous week. ICU admissions also fell to 273 from 319 one week ago.

The Ministry of Health reported 27 more COVID-19-related deaths across Ontario, bringing the death toll to 12,478 since the pandemic began.