Two more COVID-19-related deaths were reported in Middlesex-London on Tuesday. The latest data from the health unit shows that the number of high-risk cases is falling as the known number of active cases in the region falls.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) published the deaths of a man in his 80s and another in his 90s who died from the virus. There have now been four deaths in May, including people in their 70s and older. The death toll since the pandemic began is as high as 380 for the region.
The number of COVID-19 cases in high-risk settings has declined over the past week, with the seven-day moving average down to 51, about half what was on the same day last month. The MLHU only tracks positive outcomes from high-risk facilities such as long-term care homes and hospitals. While the health entity is reporting 564 active cases, the real number is believed to be much higher.
“We are clearly on the tail end of the sixth wave with continued improvement in COVID-19 transmission in our community,” said Dr. Alex Summers, the MLHU’s health officer.
“However, COVID-19 continues to circulate within our community and my guidance and recommendations still apply. Wear this mask. Get vaccinated and spend as much time outdoors as possible.”
As of May 88.4 percent of residents aged 5 and over are fully vaccinated. Booster doses are available for those ages 12 and older, along with fourth doses for those ages 60 and older, as well as First Nation, Inuit and Metis individuals. Visit the MLHU website for more information on vaccinations.
Hospitalizations are slowly declining in London
Hospital admissions continue a downward trend, with the London Health Sciences Center reporting 33 patients on treatment for the virus, including 16 who tested positive after being admitted for other illnesses. There are five or fewer patients with COVID-19 in the ICU and five or fewer patients in Children’s Hospital.
There are 140 staff who have tested positive and are isolating, down 100 from the same day two weeks ago.
There are currently two COVID-19 outbreaks within the hospital network, including one in the University Hospital in the U4 Medicine 100 and Low 200 wings and one in the Victoria Hostptial in the B4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
COVID-19 across the province
The Department of Health reports 1,555 COVID-19 hospitalizations, including 188 patients in intensive care. The ministry says 42 percent of patients were admitted directly for treatment related to the virus, while 58 percent were admitted for other reasons and tested positive.
There were 19 more COVID-19-related deaths across the province, with Ontario’s official death toll standing at 12,991.