In order to facilitate our ambition to grow support for King’s College London and King’s Health Partners, we are creating this new leadership role to develop and lead on the delivery of the high-value fundraising programme for King’s College London, Arts & Sciences priorities. The postholder will have responsibility for working with the Director of Development to develop and implement the fundraising strategies for the University’s priority projects in addition to fundraising in support of the Arts & Sciences faculties. The role will collaborate closely with the new Associate Director of Development, Health (KCL & KHP), who will oversee the strategic development of high-level fundraising activities across health priority areas for King’s College London and King’s Health Partners.
Fundraising & Supporter Development (F&SD) is an integrated department that provides a single fundraising and supporter engagement function in support of King’s College London, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and for King’s Health Partners. We operate a unique and powerful model, which brings together fundraising for all our partners across major and principal gifts; trusts & foundations; legacies; corporate engagement and public fundraising.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Lead the University’s high-value fundraising efforts for Student Support, Arts & Sciences, and other cross-institution strategic initiatives in line with strategic priorities
- Support the Director of Development in working across the University to identify and develop a comprehensive suite of fundraising projects aligned to King’s College London strategic priorities with special focus on the Arts & Sciences faculties.
- Develop and execute fundraising strategies for agreed priorities that will expand our network, drive income growth and contribute to achieving overall F&SD and Campaign III targets and objectives.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with key senior internal stakeholders to develop a good understanding of KCL and faculty priorities, and to build the profile of F&SD and the Development teams, and to ensure the power of the philanthropy partnership model is understood and appreciated
- Ensure senior internal colleagues are briefed on the role they should play in cultivating potential donors and are prepared to do so when needed
- Work with the Project Development team to ensure there is a pipeline of fundraising-ready projects with compelling narratives and collateral, and that effective bespoke proposals are developed for principal gifts
- Work with the Prospect Research team to ensure there is a pipeline of prospects capable of making 5-8 figure commitments that will support a sustainable year-on-year increase in donation income.
- Work with the Donor Relations team to ensure there is an effective donor stewardship programme in place to underpin fundraising programmes.
- Monitor the pipeline of prospects, proposals and funds raised for the Arts & Sciences Development team and agreed fundraising priorities, through analysis of key data and KPIs, to ensure the team is on track
- Play an active role in the strategy development for Campaign III including contributing to the development of overall narrative/case for support, priority project selection, and target setting.
- Manage a personal portfolio of high-net-worth donors and potential donors to secure 6-8 figure donations and meet agreed targets.
- Collaborate effectively with the Associate Director, Health (KCL & KHP), and colleagues in the Guy’s and St Thomas’s Fundraising team, to ensure that prospects and donors are engaged effectively across the wider team
- Work with the Associate Director, Health Partnerships, to effectively coordinate fundraising approaches, utilising the right teams and creating ways to recognise shared contributions and KPIs.
- Manage, develop and motivate a high calibre fundraising team to achieve clear and ambitious targets.
- Support the Director of Development in leading the KCL and KHP Development team including contributing to away days, team planning, culture and cross team strategic projects.
- As an active member of the F&SD Leadership Team, develop and embed a high achieving, best-in-class culture where people feel empowered and motivated to achieve
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- A sustained track record of securing six figure gifts and achieving financial targets as a major gifts fundraiser
- Experience of managing a high-performing major gifts team and an understanding of how to motivate and inspire fundraisers to achieve stretching targets
- Demonstrable experience of successful fundraising including building and managing senior-level relationships and securing financial support.
- Experience of developing and delivering strategic plans to deliver philanthropic income for agreed priorities
- Proven success generating income from high value streams, experience of proposal writing and case for support development.
- Demonstrable ability to recognise and progress funding opportunities.
- Sound grasp of charity law, fundraising techniques, and donor recognition and stewardship programmes.
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines, shifting priorities and rapid change with ease, while maintaining focus on the most important priorities for achieving success.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to work with a range of numerical and other data.
- An understanding of universities and/or charities as complex public sector organisations is desirable, as is an interest in and knowledge of factors affecting research and university funding sources
- Diplomatic, persuasive and credible at a senior level, possessing the professional gravitas that will engender the respect of key stakeholders including the academic community.
- A motivational leadership style, inspiring and empowering others in a constructive and collaborative way.
- A team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly developed communication skills, both written and verbal.
1. A sustained track record of securing six figure gifts and achieving financial targets as a major gifts fundraiser
2. Experience of managing a high-performing major gifts team and an understanding of how to motivate and inspire fundraisers to achieve stretching targets
3. Experience of developing and implementing fundraising strategic plans to deliver philanthropic income for agreed priorities
4. Experience of working with senior academics (or equivalent) and managing effective relationships
5. Diplomatic, persuasive and credible at a senior level, possessing the professional gravitas that will engender the respect of key stakeholders including the academic community and potential donors.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
7. Ability to handle multiple deadlines, shifting priorities and rapid change with ease, while maintaining focus on the most important priorities for achieving success
8. A motivational leadership style, inspiring and empowering others in a constructive and collaborative way.
9. Experience of using a complex donor/client relationship database, eg Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce
1. Experience in a Student Support or Arts & Sciences focused role in a university setting
2. Experience in a comprehensive university fundraising campaign
3. Experience of identifying and developing fundraising priorities and propositions
Please note, to apply for this role please submit an application via : Senior Development & Philanthropy Positions | Kings College London (peridotpartners.co.uk) Please do not submit an application through the Kings College London job portal.