Location: South Kensington Campus
Are you an experienced category manager for laboratory supplies and looking for a new challenge? Do you have experience leading laboratory related procurement programs for a large complex organization? Can you develop and maintain effective high-level relationships, both internally and externally, to support procurement strategy?
We are looking for a Laboratory Supplies Category Manager to join our procurement team. The Category Manager role plays a key role in the Purchasing department within Imperial College London’s Finance department, which is responsible for leading and managing all purchasing activities across the College.
duties and responsibilities
As a Category Manager (Laboratory), you will direct and manage procurement and category management on a college-wide basis for laboratory-related small equipment, consumables, chemicals and gases, maintenance/support services, and other general operational expenses as needed.
You will be responsible for developing and managing a variety of college-wide contracts that offer best value for money coupled with departmental performance improvements to ensure resources are deployed in the most efficient, economical and effective manner.
In addition, you will provide senior managers and departments with professional procurement advice and guidance, from initial procurement strategy, development and drafting of technical specifications, tendering, supplier evaluation and selection, to contract management and monitoring.
In addition, you will advise senior executives on issues that could impact their operational and financial strategies and take the lead in ensuring the buying community’s commitment to support the College’s goals to achieve procurement savings and achieve operational and financial strategies. You will also manage the procurement process for all laboratory related contracts (including the use of consortia where appropriate) from requirements definition through procurement, negotiation and contract management to external e-marketplace system control.
- Must have college degree or equivalent experience
- A registered full member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS)
- Have in-depth experience in laboratory category management
- Extensive and significant procurement experience in a complex environment in either the public or private sector
- Significant experience and knowledge of conducting high-level contract negotiations with major suppliers and customers
- Demonstrable experience managing procurement programs and projects that drive significant change
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to advise and influence executives on data/information and decisions they need to make
- Highly developed communication skills with the ability to convey complex, sensitive and specialized information that can be very controversial to different audiences
- Well-developed negotiation, persuasion, facilitation and influencing skills and the ability to think strategically
This is a full-time, permanent position and you will be based on the South Kensington campus.
Due to the nature of this role, we will shortlist candidates as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy as soon as a suitable candidate has been hired. It is therefore advisable to submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Applicants must complete an online application.
The college is currently testing a work location framework through early 2023. Hybrid working can be considered for this role and the role holder can be expected to work 60% or more of their time onsite, with 40% of the minimum time spent onsite. The possibility of hybrid work will be discussed in the interview.
We are committed to equal opportunity, eliminating discrimination and creating an inclusive work environment for all. Therefore, we encourage candidates to apply regardless of age, disability, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, gender or sexual orientation. We are Athena SWAN Silver Award Winners, Disability Confident Leaders and Stonewall Diversity Champion.
To apply, visit www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search for the job reference FOG00820.