Faculties warn in opposition to promoting hashish sweet in child-friendly packaging after regulation scholar’s loss of life in London

0
133

School principals have said they are concerned about cannabis candy and are urging young people not to buy them following the death of a 23-year-old London law student. Damilola Olakanmi, from Ilford, died on April 2 after eating a cannabis gummy she bought through a messaging app on her phone.

There are growing concerns that the candy is being sold in child-friendly packaging after it was discovered that the candy Damilola ate came in “Trrlli Peachie O’s” branded packaging. The Metropolitan Police have warned people of the potential dangers after the incident and a number of sweets have been recovered and are currently being tested.

Now school leaders have also expressed concerns, said Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders: “It is very worrying that cannabis candy could be available in child-friendly packaging. We have not heard reports of these sweets being brought into school buildings, but as with all issues in society at large, there is an obvious risk of this happening.”

READ MORE: Mom says tragic goodbye to daughter who died after ‘eating sweet cannabis’

Damilola’s death has prompted renewed warnings about edible marijuana

“There is clearly a limited limit to what (schools) can do and what they need is that people don’t produce, sell and buy such items in the first place. We are very saddened to hear of this tragic incident and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the young woman who has passed away.”

The case could be linked to another incident last month, according to Met Police, in which a woman was hospitalized after consuming a cannabis candy in Tower Hamlets. The Met Police’s East Area Basic Command Unit has warned the public about the dangers of illegal drugs in general, but particularly those packaged as “cannabis candy.”

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell said: “Please do not purchase or consume these products. They are illegal and may pose a risk of accidental consumption due to the child-friendly packaging. The particular batch of candy came in a package with Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this time where the candy was made.”

A spokesman for charity Hope UK said: “Often the packaging of these products looks very similar to well-known confectionery brands that appeal to children, so it can only be assumed that they will be marketed to young people. The main problem with products sold as edibles, candies or “gummy candies” is that they are illegal substances and therefore there is no way of knowing exactly what they contain… Parents, schools and young people certainly should do consciously”.

Following Damilola’s death, Richard Taylo, a family member and justice activist, said: “It is a tragic warning to all young people as they live their lives. You should resist drugs. Damilola was a promising young woman who should look forward to her future and children of her own. She studied law.”

Leon Brown, 37, from South Norwood in Croydon, was arrested in connection with the Friday April 1 incident. He was charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid due to concern of supplying a synthetic cannabinoid and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up for our daily newsletter here for the latest and greatest news from across London.

Continue reading
Continue reading